Documents and Maps of Hai||om indigenous knowledge
During the time from 1999 until today, extensive knowledge has been collected and prepared by members of the Xoms |Omis Project.
The information available up to now covers the following areas. Please check back for updates on new material available.
- list of placenames (Hai||om names and later given Afrikaans names)
- map of important former Hai||om settlements, with roads accessible to tourists
- poster-map of former Hai||om settlements and other important places, produced for the 100-year centennary of Etosha National Park in 2007: .pdf, 2 MB
- list of indigenous plants, Hai||om names and information about their usage.
- map: important plant resources in Etosha National Park, produced for the 100-year centennary of Etosha National Park in 2007: fruits and leaves (.pdf, 1 MB), roots and tubers (.pdf, 1 MB)
- list of animals, Hai||om names, general information, use
- animal stories
- map: important animal resources, their migratory patterns and important hunting plances, produced for the 100-year centennary of Etosha National Park in 2007: .pdf, 2 MB
- lifelines and maps: personal history of some of the Xoms |Omis Project members
- maps of the boundaries of Etosha National Park 1907-2000
Some of this is published in the booklet Born in Etosha.
Interactive map (google api):